Saturday, November 28, 2009

I want to be a lawyer and am looking for work experience how do I find/ apply to a law firm.?

I am a year 10 student wanting to become a lawyer. and am looking for a law firm to do a week of work experience. How do I look for a law firm that takes secondary students for work experience.I want to be a lawyer and am looking for work experience how do I find/ apply to a law firm.?
A week? I've never heard of anyone doing that in any field, but you might ask your counselor. Certainly that wouldn't be considered work experience (it would take longer than that to train you to do anything meaningful), but maybe you could job shadow for a day or so. I work in a department which has a business law undergraduate major, and it is difficult to find a law firm which will hire an undergraduate college student to work for them in an internship. Most of them will only hire law students.I want to be a lawyer and am looking for work experience how do I find/ apply to a law firm.?
Law firms only hire law students for that kind of work. You are only in the 10th grade, what relevant knowledge do you have? NONE. Unless you know a lawyer or there's one in your family, it's not going to happen.
I would try interning for your state government if you don't live to far away. As a start you will just be running errands, answering phones, transcribing documents, etc., but the experience as an intern not only looks good, but can lead to better things. I also have a friend (senior) who is a ';runner'; for a law firm, and although I doubt you have a car yet as a sophomore, it is something to consider once you do.
Wait, before everyone jumps on the asker.





First, mazeenam, what country are you in?





In the U.S., law firms generally will not hire high school students, or even accept them as interns, because of the complexity of the work and the confidentiality issues involved.





However, I have heard of people in Australia and other parts of the British Commonwealth doing a week of ';work experience'; in high school in a wide variety of professional settings, possibly including law firms. And in those countries, companies expect this sort of thing and are better able to handle it. Where are you located?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
albinism