Saturday, November 28, 2009

How do I know if stain is dry enough to apply the first coat of polyurethane?

It's an oil-based wiping stain, and I'll be using an oil-based polyurethane. It is on oak. The stain instructions recommend waiting 12 hours before topcoating. It's in my garage, which is at about 75 degrees F and 50% relative humidity. How do I know for sure it's okay to proceed? I'm on a tight schedule, and I don't want to wait any longer than necessary.How do I know if stain is dry enough to apply the first coat of polyurethane?
at the temperature you stated; your area should be dried enough in just 8 hours and ready for the second coat if the weather is high and dryHow do I know if stain is dry enough to apply the first coat of polyurethane?
I would add a few hours due to the humidity. If it is not dry, you will get bubbles in the Poly and need to start all over. If it is dry to the touch, try using a hair, blow dryer on it before the Poly.
In an inconspicuous spot touch the stain if it is tacky or sticky it is too wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
albinism