Saturday, November 28, 2009

How to choose the grad programs to which I should apply?

I am a geology student with a wide variety of interests. Most programs I have looked at offer programs that are interesting to me. I meet or exceed the minimum requirements of all these programs ,but I have yet to take the GRE. Also If I wish to apply to a geophysics program should I take the physics GRE subject test? How should I go about narrowing down my choices so I don't spend thousands of dollars applying to schools?How to choose the grad programs to which I should apply?
Dear April,





Graduate programs are chosen by match between faculty specializations and applicant interests.





That means the first thing you need to do is narrow your interests. There is an expectation of focus at the graduate level, and in order to find the right programs for you, you must determine which area within geology you are passionate enough about to spend the rest of your life researching.





Speak to your current geology professors. They'll have great advice about which programs you should explore. They know which programs specialize in which areas, and which faculty are great mentors, and which programs produce great scholars who find JOBS!





You will have to consult the Director of Graduate Studies in each department to which you are applying to find out whether the physics subject test is required. I would imagine that some geophysics programs will require it, and some will not.





Best wishes to you.


And get great GRE scores -- the higher they are, the more competitive you will be for an assistantship or fellowship.How to choose the grad programs to which I should apply?
Your first priority is finding programs where your interests match those of faculty. That is the most important thing.





Beyond that, be sure to apply to a few top schools ('reach' schools), some good match schools, and some safety schools.





Not every school has an application fee, keep in mind.











The GRE is easy, so don't sweat it.
  • sensitive skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    albinism