Thursday, December 10, 2009

How do I produce a good portfolio to help me apply to Art college in England?

I can get into art college in England as my grades are up to their standards etc, but I need a portfolio, one that will impress the people who I am going to have my interview with.





What is the best way to go about creating on of these, as I have never had to do such a thing before.How do I produce a good portfolio to help me apply to Art college in England?
To begin with, have you taken art classes in the past? If so, dig out everything you've kept. Go through it with a critical eye. Then invite someone who is impartial do to the same - someone like an art teacher, rather than your mum.





In the US (I can't speak to the UK), art schools are looking for potential, and they prefer that you submit examples of work that shows that potential. They want you to submit any work that you feel does that, but they also want you to be sure to submit work that you've done from life. So, if you've taken any drawing or painting classes, or done any of this on your own, then that work would be a good addition. Things like still lifes, portraits, life drawings from a model (not from a photo), even just your sketches of hands and feet - so long as it shows work you did from life, it would be a strong addition.





When I applied to art school, I actually only submitted my sketches from my life drawing and my basic drawing classes. So there were about 10-25 drawings done from models, landscapes and still lifes. I didn't frame them or do anything fancy to them - I let them stand on their own. And I got in. Most schools prefer that you not do anything fancing in terms of matting or framing of your work.





Some schools in the US want you to submit specific types of work, and they list those out on their websites. So, for example, the Fashion Institute of Tech, for prospective fashion design majors, wants them to submit drawings of clothing on models, as well as examples of their sewing. So check the websites of the schools you're interested in, and see if they list any specifics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
albinism